Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Why I am voting Yes for equality




I am a goalkeeper. I am a member of the GAA. I am a son, a brother, an uncle. I am 24. I’m a straight man.

Years ago, when I needed some encouragement in life, a close friend left me an envelope with a little note in it that said:

‘Be the best that you can be. The best you can be is yourself.’

These days, when I see it hanging from a thumbtack in the wall of my bedroom in Cavan, I think of why I will be voting 'Yes' on May 22.

One-day I want to meet someone, fall in love and get married. I hope to spend the rest of my life with a special person that I can depend on in good times and in bad and go through life with hand in hand.

At this moment, I do not know if that will happen for me. I do however know my dream can become reality, that my dream is legal and my dream has Ireland's support. Our gay friends, family, teammates and colleagues just want the same thing – an equal right to live happily and be true to themselves. Just like that little note hanging on my wall would urge them to. We are all the same but at present we are not recognised as equals in our country.

We have the power to change this. It is in our hands to make Ireland an equal place for ourselves right now and indeed for future generations. On May 22nd, I am joining the majority of the Gaelic Player’s Association membership in voting ‘Yes’ for equality.







No comments:

Post a Comment